Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Interviewing

I decided for my weekly blog to write about my main interview for the profile piece.

I chose to interview Heather Finch about the People's Co-op after researching on the website and doing a lexis-nexis search for articles on the Co-op. I saw that the Gazette had interviewed her a couple times and that she was writing a book on the history of the co-op, and is a director and employee. I didn't know she was the assistant manager until during the interview, so that worked out well.

When I went down to the Co-op for the interview, she came right out to meet me and was very excited to tell me about the store. I asked her to show me around and tell me about the products and where they come from. She was a little nervous and asked me about halfway through if she was doing a good job.

After the tour, we went outside and sat in the sun at a table to talk about things and let me ask questions. It was really nice I think because she was really comfortable and I was able to watch how she interacted with customers as they went in and out of the store. Some of her friends stopped to talk a few times and then realized we were doing an interview, which kind of embarassed her but I saw it as an opportunity to see more of the community surrounding the co-op.

Overall it was a really great interview and I didn't have to do much at all to get the information I wanted. She obviously loves talking about the co-op, and showed a lot of passion when I asked questions that covered some of the criticism from the general public.

1 comment:

Marin said...

Sounds like an ideal experience, Kim. Nicely done. By the way, the K-College sources that might best serve you are Amelia Katanski and Dan Lipson.